Reginald Evans is a Partner of Bybel Rutledge LLP where his practice focuses on financial institution regulation, regulatory representation, mergers and acquisitions, legislation and public policy, and regulation of financial intermediaries.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Evans was chief counsel to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Banking from 1995 to 2003, now known as the Department of Banking and Securities. He also served as deputy chief counsel from 1990 to 1995. As Chief Counsel to the Pennsylvania Department of Banking, Mr. Evans was responsible for overseeing the Department’s regulatory and enforcement regime, merger and acquisition review and determination process, and interfacing with federal financial institution regulatory agencies on a spectrum of issues and matters. Mr. Evans provided legal advice to the Pennsylvania Secretary of Banking and staff on financial institution law matters for banks, credit unions, trust companies, mortgage lenders and brokers, automobile industry, and other consumer finance companies, on issues including regulatory compliance, contracts, applications, and enforcement matters. He was also responsible for the execution of all policy efforts of the Department, including regulations, policy statements and legal opinions, and had frequent interaction and coordination with Federal and State financial services regulators. Mr. Evans also previously served as Chairman of the Financial Services Department of a Pennsylvania/Maryland law firm.
Professional Affiliations, Awards, Boards
- Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) - Elected by his legal peers from state banking agencies across the country to serve as Chairman of the CSBS annual national legal conference of state and federal banking regulatory agency attorneys.
- Pennsylvania Governor's Legal Task Force that developed the first state digital signatures law in the country.
- Financial Institutions Working Group on Developing American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standards for Electronic Document Storage, Detroit, Michigan, 2006 - 2007. Team developed a secure electronic storage of documents system within the applicable financial services industry protocol through ANSI.
- Executive Director and General Counsel to the Pennsylvania Independent Automobile Dealers Association (PIADA) from 2011 to 2021. He played a key role in PIADA's merger with the Maryland and Delaware independent dealers association to become the MidAtlantic Independent Automobile Dealers Association. His legal focus at the association was on business, lending law, consumer finance, licensing, and other regulatory matters.
Professional Presentations and Publications
- Provided numerous presentations on financial institution law at banking, credit union, mortgage industry, automobile industry, and consumer finance conventions and conferences.
- Trainer providing mortgage loan originator pre-licensing and continuing education classes through the Academy of Professional Mortgage Licensing as authorized by the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS).
- Continuing legal education presentations on numerous financial institution law topics in Pennsylvania.
- Editor in Chief and Writer for the monthly MidAtlantic Dealer News, a monthly 32-page magazine on business, consumer finance, dealership commercial finance, and regulatory matters for the automobile dealership -finance industry in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Delaware, from 2011 to 2021.
- Adjunct Professor, The Pennsylvania State University Harrisburg (Real Estate Finance).
- English and Spanish.